Arthur A. Morrell, Clerk of Criminal District of Orleans Parish is the chief election officer of the parish. Also, the clerk is the ex officio (custodian) of voting machines. In addition to other duties vested in him by law, the clerk:
- Qualifies candidates for Municipal elections.
- Provides instruction of election commissioners and issuance of certificates of instruction.
- Notifies candidates in each election of the date and time when they may examine the voting machines.
- Certify public counters are set at zero on the machines, and certify to the number on the protective counter of the machines prior to an election.
- Supervise and have custody of the machines from the time they taken from the warehouse for distribution to the polling places until the machines are turned over to the election commissioners and from the time the machines are surrendered by the election commissioners until they are returned to the Secretary of State at the warehouse.
- Notify candidates of the date, time and place of the opening of machines and supervise the opening of machines.